US Military Confirmed Strike on Mosul With Alleged More than 100 Deaths


Time: 10:52 p.m. CEST

The U.S. military said on Saturday that began an airstrike against the Islamic State last week in part of city of Mosul populated with civilians. The residents in that part of the city said that more than 100 people were killed.  “An initial review of strike data … indicates that, at the request of the Iraqi security forces, the Coalition struck ISIS fighters and equipment, March 17, in west Mosul at the location corresponding to allegations of civilian casualties,” the task force leading the coalition said in a statement, as the Washington Post writes.

Local population says they have pulled at least 60 bodies from one destroyed building near the affected site in Mosul al-Jadida. Initial investigation should give more details on the incident. Trump administration promised a more aggressive campaign in the fight against the Islamic State group. As the Post writes, a commander in the Iraqi military said the March 17 incident, “may have been partially caused by the fact that a missile struck a car bomb, unleashing a giant explosion.”

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s