Izmir Governor Says Initial Findings Suggests ‘PKK Responsible’ for Car Explosion Attack


Time: 10:30 p.m. CEST

At least two people died after the explosions of the cars in the Aegean province of Izmir near the courthouse, which happened on January 5. The Governor of Izmir, Erol Ayyildiz said one of the victims was a police officer, while the other was an employee at the İzmir courthouse. Seven people were injured and two militants were killed.

Police killed the militants after gun exchange when police tried to stop and search the car. Ayyildiz explained that another car “was detonated near the scene.” The initial findings, Ayyildiz said, “suggested that the outlawed Kurdistan Worker’s Party was responsible for the attack.

The attack happened near a police checkpoint “at the entrance for judges and prosecutors,” Hurryiet Daily News reports. The Radio and Television Supreme council had a temporary gag order on reporting the attack. Dogan News Agency reported that a third militant “might be on the run and the police was conducting an operation.”

Last year, on December 17, “a car bomb by the PKK killed at least 13 soldiers and wounded 56 when it ripped through a bus carrying off-duty soldiers in the central city of Kayseri.” Hurryiet Daily News reported. In August, as BBC.com writes, a PKK car bomb killed 11 policemen and injured 78. In October, another 10 soldiers and eight civilians died in a car- bomb attack on a checkpoint in Durak.

After the attack, the U.S. Embassy, as Hurryiet Daily News reported remained U.S. citizens to “review personal security plans, ensure communication connectivity, to remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and to monitor local news for breaking events. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security,” said the embassy.”

The attack in Izmir is the second in 2017 after gun attack in a nightclub in Istanbul on New Year’s Day, an hour after midnight. For the attack in Istanbul, Islamic State group claimed responsibility, although the authorities in Turkey are still looking for the gunmen who killed 39 people and injured over 60.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s