Hollande Called Saint -Étienne-du-Rouvray’s attack ‘an act of terrorism’


Time: 10:46 p.m. CEST

The French president, François Hollande reacted after murder of a catholic priests in Saint -Étienne-du-Rouvray on Tuesday, has said, “The murder of a priest and the wounding of one of his parishioners in Normandy was an act of terrorism carried out by two followers of Islamic State,” the U.S. edition of the Guardian writes.

Media reports the witness who described that two men forced the priest Father Jacques Hamel, to his knees, slit his throat and filmed themselves appearing to preach in Arabic at the altar, the Guardian writes.

Two men with knives held five hostages during the morning pryers. Hollande said, the incident is “an ignoble terrorist attack.” Islamic State group claimed the responsibility for the attack via its affiliated Amaq news agency. Hollande met with the members of the France’s anti-gang brigade. BRI, who were in balaclavas, previously killed the attackers, when they left the church.

The Guardian writes, Hollande added: “I have met with the family of the priest and I have spoken to the people kept hostage who expressed their pain and sadness as well as a wish to comprehend what has happened.”

As BFMTV says, “One of the two killers, as yet unnamed, lived in Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray and had tried to travel to fight in Syria in 2015 but had been sent back by Turkish border authorities and jailed in France.”

One of the hostages, the nun, sister Danielle said two main recorded the attack, while preaching in Arabic in front of the altar. “It was a horror. Jacques was an extraordinary priest. He was a great man, Father Jacques,” sister Danielle said. The Paris prosecutor’s office said one person was detained. Police shot dead two attackers as they left the church.

After the attack in Nice, France decided to extend the state of emergency for another six months. Police could undertake searches and place people under house arrest. France is in state of emergency since attack in Paris

It was the fourth time the security measures have been extended since Isis followers staged a mass attack on Paris in November, killing 130 people in the Bataclan concert hall, the national stadium, and city centre restaurants.

The Major attacks in France since 2015: (source: the Guardian) 

1  Paris,  January  7-9, 2015 – 17 killed in attacks that started at the Charlie Hebdo office

Nice, February 3, 2015 – Three soldiers guarding Jewish community centre targeted in knife attack

3  Paris, April 19,  2015 – Algerian IT student arrested on suspicion of shooting dead a woman in her car

4  Saint-Quentin-Fallavier, June 26, 2015 – Man kills and beheads his boss, tries to blow up gas plant

5  Amsterdam–Paris train,  August 21, 2015 – Moroccan national opens fire on train but is overwhelmed by passengers

Paris, November 13,  2015 – 130 killed in gun attacks on restaurants and Bataclan concert hall

7  Valence, January 1, 2016 – Man tries to run down troops guarding a mosque

Paris,  January 7, 2016 – Moroccan-born man wielding a meat cleaver tries to attack police station

9  Magnanville, 13 June 2016 – Police officer and partner killed at their home in knife attack

10  Nice,  July 14, 2016 – At least 84 dead in truck attack during Bastille Day celebrations

11  Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray, July 26,  2016 – A priest is killed and a churchgoer wounded after two knifemen, later shot dead by police, take hostages during a church service

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s