Time: 6:20 p.m. CEST
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the blasts in the Damascus’ suburb on Saturday, the Associated Press reports. Islamic State group announced that through Aamaq news agency, associated to the militants. Aamaq said, “three attacks were carried out by the suicide bombers,” with “two attackers wearing explosive belts, and third that was in a car.” Number of people who died differs of the sources. As the AP writes, “Syrian State TV said the blasts in the Sayyida Zeinab area just south of Damascus killed 12 people and injured 55 others. But, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, explained 20 people were killed and dozens were wounded in the two explosions.”
In the Syria’s civil war, which is now in its sixth year, Sayyida Zeinab has been “a frequent target of bombings.” Past attacks include a suicide car bomb on a military checkpoint on April 25 and a series of blasts in February, which killed at least 83 people and injured more than 170, the AP says.
The U.S-backed fighters in northern Syria continue with the siege on the Islamic State stronghold of Manbij. The Syria Democratic Forces, a predominantly Kurdish group, enclosed the town after succeed to capture villages and farms near the Turkish border. In Manbij, the AP says, thousands of civilians are trapped by the fighting.
The United Nations said the Syrian government allowed access of humanitarian convoys to 15 of 19 besieged areas. As the AP writes, “the U.N. estimates that 592,700 people live under siege in Syria, with about 452,700 of them under blockades by government forces. Lifting sieges on rebel-held areas was a key demand by the opposition during peace talks that failed earlier this year in Geneva.”
In the central province of Homs, a 31-truck aid convoy from the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent entered the besieged town of Houla on Saturday, according to ICRC spokesman Pawel Krzysiek.