Brussels Attack: One Suspect Still on Run, Two Others are Brothers


Time: 2:00 p.m. CEST

The third suspect involved in the airport bombing in Brussels is still on the run, according to the Belgian officials who announced some details on Wednesday after triple attacks in Brussels yesterday. At the same news conference, Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office has been clear that fugitive Najim Laachraouiri is not arrested.

The prosecutor Frederic van Leeuw, said that in the raid in Schaerbeek, police found 15 kilograms of explosive and the taxi driver was a person who led them to the Brussels district because before he drove the perpetrators to the airport. Two explosions at the Brussels’ Airport Zaventen and the metro station Maelbeek killed at least 31 people and injured 260. According to the prosecutor, people were killed at the airport when two bombs detonated on Tuesday morning.

 No other weapons were found at the airport.

A deadly explosive was detonated on the rail track in the second metro car, according to a spokeswoman for Brussels’ transportation department. The prosecutor said that two of the men have been identified as relatives. One is from the airport suicide bombers, while the other is from the subway suicide bomber. A third bomb at the airports did not explode and police found in a suitcase at the airport.

At the news conference, Alain Lefebvre Director of the crisis center has ensured that priority is helping the victims and the safety of everyone. The identification of victims is underway, but it is impossible to give a definitive death toll. The attacks occurred four days after authorities captured Salah Abdeslam, a suspect in the Paris attacks that killed 130 people last November.

Khalid el-Bakraoui appears on the Interpol website. It says that he is being sought for terrorist activities, BBS News reported. Brahim el-Bakraoui is in the middle of the widely circulated CCTV image taken at Zaventem airport, van Leeuw confirmed.

The man on the right has not been identified and is still being sought, Mr van Leeuw said. La Derniere Heure, Belgian newspaper had earlier identified this man as Laachraoui, who was named earlier in the week by police as a wanted accomplice of Abdeslam. But, the authorities issued a warrant for him last night. Some Belgian media reported on Wednesday that he was the man arrested in Anderlecht but this report has been withdrawn.

Threat level in Belgium remains at four, highest level in the country.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s